From Easy Gluten-Free Entertaining by GlutenSmart Press
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock (Recipe in the Cookbook)
- 1-2 cups peeled and cubed squash or gourds
- 1 thumb sized knob fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cup sliced green onion shoots, scallions, ramps or green garlic
- 2-4 cups sliced fresh greens
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly grated black pepper
- Optional: ½ pound ground spring lamb, venison, turkey, or tempeh; sautéed, drained and cooled
- Heat stock and add seasonings. Let simmer for 10 minutes and check flavor. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add the sliced onions and return to the simmer.
- Add the peeled and cubed gourd chunks. If you are using a combination of winter and summer squashes, add the harder chunks first and let them cook for 10 minutes before adding the softer chunks.
- Add optional proteins and let cook into the broth. Whether using meat, poultry or soy, the protein here is used as a garnish, not as a main player in the soup.
- Add the sliced greens. Cook just until wilted for tender greens like spinach and lettuce, longer for heartier leaves like kale and chard. Use baby versions for quicker cooking times.
- Adjust for final seasoning.
To give the broth brightness, use lemon juice or apple cider vinegar just before serving or on the table for diners to add.
Serve in bowls alongside Hearty Flavors Bread (Recipe in the Cookbook).